Thursday, December 3, 2009

Space Panda

Space Bear
I've developed an affinity for what I'm calling "3D illustration." It's really just painted objects, sculpture, decoration, etc. It's more "art for art's sake" than anything else. Basically it's my reaction to the overpriced vinyl toys that I can't afford. This started as a little post-topper that I picked up at Home Depot for a couple bucks. It's not really flying anywhere in 2010, unless of course, someone overseas decides to buy it. Even then I'm not really sure about it's means of getting there. Maybe boat, maybe plane, maybe penguin-propelled hovercraft... If anyone else feels the desire to paint one of these, let me know. We can start the latest craze. For now, this space ursa will contemplate the inner workings of its troubled, lonely heart. Check out a couple more pics on my flickr page.

2 comments:

  1. First of all the final product is beautiful and fun. THEN I realized what it was.... a frickin post topper!!! OMG! It's such a great use of the media that the original functionality almost disappears. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm always looking for new shapes to paint. This one just seemed like a natural progression from the trusty, old egg. After growing tired of the craft store wood department, I decided to upgrade to an actual hardware store.

    ReplyDelete