Thursday, October 15, 2009

Tiger egg

Tiger egg
This here's the first of a series of animal eggs. Although, the form of the egg has absolutely nothing to do with a tiger in the literal sense, I think it's nice to see something unexpected on its surface. I've come to realize that I love painting on wood. These little sculptures are my way of transitioning into doing what I ultimately want to do--that is, making toys or movable sculpture. Going from 2-D to 3-D is especially exciting because of its tangibility. It's not meant to hang on your wall and be admired from a certain distance, while keeping a safe amount of space between you and the art. It's a tactile experience. You're meant to walk around it, hold it in your hand, and pour over every inch of its surface. That's the kind of intimacy I always strive for.

No comments:

Post a Comment